You'll need a reliable computer for Zoom sessions, viewing the GauchoSpace site, reading papers and viewing other UCSB online resources. You'll do some programming and remote control of GIS lab PCS and Communication Lab Macs. If you have a Chromebook - you can do all your programming by remotely controlling a computer at Bren, or using the Rstudio Web Server.
- Mac (Running High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina)
- PC running Windows (10 not 7) or Linux
- Chromebook/box (doesn't work great if you are a Teaching Assistant)
Other Peripherals -
- Microphone & Speaker and/or Headset or earpods
- Camera - most laptops have built in cameras
- Reasonable Internet Connection
- Helpful - a monitor to connect to your laptop (Bigger screen and a 2nd monitor)
- Helpful - Ergonomic keyboard/mouse
- Helpful - printer or local business you can print
- Helpful - if your class offers a reader, you might choose to buy that.
Loaner equipment -
We can loan out equipment to those who can pick it up in Santa Barbara (form link at bottom). We can loan the following equipment for the entire fall quarter unless noted otherwise:
- keyboards / mice
- Networking cables
- Monitor with cable & adapter (meant to be a 2nd monitor)
- All in one 24" Windows Desktop PC quantity(20)
- Chromebook Laptop quantity(5) - short term, under a month
- Mac Laptop / PC Laptop quantity(1/2) - two week loan
- Headsets and Cameras quantity(5/5) - one month loan
Each year, we generally have 2-5 students who start with a laptop that is 6+ years old and about ready to fail. Each year there are generally 2-3 students who spill a drink on their laptop. Having a backup plan in case your computer stops working is a good idea.
Whether you have a MAC, PC or Chromebook, you will be able to remotely control the desktop PCs and IMACS at the Bren School. We also are providing an RStudio Web server in case you aren't able to run R and RStudio adequately on your personal computer.
UCSB has a "needs" site. https://food.ucsb.edu which has a form for loaner laptops.
If you'd like to request a loan of some equipment, please fill out this form -
If you are going to buy something new, laptops might be in short supply at the beginning of the quarter. You can generally get a good chromebook for $250 - $400. You can purchase a low end Macbook Air using the HIED discount for $899 before tax and apple care. A PC can cost between $500-$3,000 but you generally get what you pay for.