You may be seeing a message saying Office 2016 has a "Office Upgrade Required". Your options include:
- Keep running Office 2016 on your Mac. Security updates will end on October 20, 2020, but the applications (Word, Excel, etc) will continue to run.
- If you are staff or faculty at Bren, you can upgrade this software yourself using your Microsoft 365 account and entitlement. See notes and screen shots below.
- If this is a Bren purchased machine and you are not able to perform this update yourself the compute team can remotely install Office 2019. This process will take a few hours done remotely.
Microsoft supports the PC version of Office 2016 and other versions of Office for 10 years. Microsoft only supports the Mac version of Office 2016 for 5 years.
The upgrade message may look like
Microsoft 365 download -
Microsoft 365 allows you to edit Office documents online, and your entitlement also provides you access to download and install Office on your devices. This process can also work for your laptop Windows PC.
- Go to https://www.office.com/. and login with your "UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu" using your work account.
- Download the Office installer
- The installer is approximately 1 GB and installing it will take up about 8 GB on your hard drive.
- Run the Installer and after the installation, you will have to active it by logging in with your UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu . If it asks for home or work account, use work account.