The compute team can assist Bren PhD students with their special audio / video support needs for their PhD defense.
We require that you contact the compute team two weeks before your defense so we can discuss with you what your needs are and schedule any support staff that might be required during the event.
We've found that each PhD defense requests are unique, examples include:
- Please stream my defense to ONLY my friends and family
- Please stream my defense publicly
- Please let my faculty advisor connect to listen to my defense online
- Please let my faculty advisor talk to me during my defense
- Please let my faculty advisor talk to me after my defense when the public presentation is over
- Please record my defense
- I'm doing this in a room thats not at Bren, can you support my AV needs?
- I want to do my defense using my laptop and not the podium computer
- And sometimes its a combination of many of the above
If you contact us less than two weeks before your defense, you put the compute team in an awkward position of trying to scramble to understand what your needs are and find the staff and equipment that might be available. Some rooms are much easier to support these requests than others. Its easy for us to stream your defense in 1414, though we need a staff operator to manage the video equipment. We have a simple device (like a gopro, but actually a mevo) that can record your presentation. If you are tech savy, its really easy to record or broadcast your event yourself, using Zoom, but many students are cautious of having Zoom running on their laptop during their defense. We have met with 3 different sets of PhD students over the years trying to come up with a one solution for all, but we've never been able to find one due to the unique preferences and requirements.