Welcome to Bren, We know you heard a lot during the compute team orientation.
Here are a few highlights of what you should do -
- Login to a Bren Desktop, with your Bren Desktop Account and make sure it works
- Verify your (Connect/UCSB Gmail account) - https://gmail.com login with "UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu"
- Forward your U-Mail email to your Connect account - http://www.umail.ucsb.edu/usage/mail-forwarding (use the forward address of UCSBnetID@ucsb.edu)
- Optionally - stop by 3516, and provide your phone/tablet mac address and your name, and we'll white list your phone/tablet on the "BREN" wifi. (or read this and fill out a form )
- Get your Access card from the UCEN (color) and fill out the form so we can give you access to the lab wing of the building through the elevators during closed hours https://bren.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206533515-What-do-I-need-to-do-to-get-into-the-building-computer-labs-after-hours-
- Log on to BOX to create your Box Cloud Storage Account - https://ucsb.app.box.com
- Create your free "pro version" of Zoom (web conferencing) - https://ucsb.zoom.us/
- Review or search for compute team knowledge base @ https://bren.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
- Get a copy of MS Office for your laptop - https://bren.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206536105-How-can-I-get-MS-Office-for-my-laptop-
- Learn about printing @ Bren - sorry, this is complicated, but use Pengin/Raven as your printers, they are black and white, in the SCF and cost the least - https://bren.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/202693146-Printing-Scanning-Copying
- remember you can always get help by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org