Sometimes a group project machine, might need updated software. We generally deploy these images in June, but we might re-image all the SCF and GIS machines in late summer with new software versions. In this case, the machines might have older software.
If you have a group project machine and want the base image updated, you need to consult with all your other team members.
The steps we will go through include -
- Audit the machine for software installations via logging in, dameware or spiceworks
- Possibly discuss with the user software they might have to reinstall ( any software installed by the data manager will have to be re-installed).
- Remove the existing harddrive
- Install a harddrive with the current image
- Run through our steps to get the machine named properly (using fog)
- Perform any needed OS updates, application updates, create the data manager account and set the password.
- Ensure Adobe CS is installed
- Ensure Sophos anti-virus is installed
- Install any additional software the compute team might have installed.
This process might take up to an hour. We will put a sign on the machine, saying it is being worked on (as sometimes we are working on it remotely).
The technical steps we go through include:
- Patch operating system
- Run ninite update - updates all software packages
- Install Sophos Anti-virus from console
- extend local disk drive partition script/diskextend
- verifying and possibly updating the BIOS on your computer
- setting the screen resolution properly on your computer
- moving any 2nd hard drive if you have one
- create a data manager account - (groupproject_admin)